John Orlando Birt
I was born in Broken Hill N.S.W. Australia and educated in Adelaide South Australia where I attended the South Australian School of Art, studying Fine Art and Art History. Later I studied Industrial Design at the Institute of Technology to pursue a career in the automotive industry initially designing automobiles in Australia and then the USA, Japan and Italy, becoming Design Manager of Ford Asia/Pacific.
My life is that of a fulltime exhibiting artist, I now reside in Melbourne. I am predominately a plein air painter, preferring to paint outdoors as it enables me to engage and be inspired in real time with my subjects. I would describe myself as a travelling artist.
I have held 25 solo exhibitions and been included in many group shows.
I have been recognised with many awards and prizes.
Each year I take painting groups to Italy, Venice and Veneto, Siena and Tuscany. This year will be my 12th Group.
- My solo exhibitions have been in Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide.
- Also held 3 solo exhibitions in Venice Italy at Gallery Holly Snapp in San Marco.
- An invited member of Concilio Europeo dell’ Arte, Venice Italy, for artists who paint in Venice.
- I have paintings in collections within Australia and overseas, AXA Australia, The RAAF Canberra and Tennis Australia.
- A commission in London 1998 to paint 2 murals, 2metres x 7.5 metres and 2 metres x 2 metres. Both were Venetian subjects for a private residence in Belgravia.
- Venice Revisited, author Sandra Harris, Pavilion, publisher.
- L’ Art De Aquarelle June 2011 [ France] and Australian Artist.